Thursday, April 23, 2015

If You Could Own Any One Object from Any Movie What Would It Be?

To be clear, I am not talking about a movie prop, like the ruby red slippers Judy Garland wore in The Wizard of Oz, or the Maltese falcon from the movie of the same name.  No, I’m talking about what if some object from a movie could really exist and you could be the one to own it.  For instance, how about a light saber from Star Wars, the laws of physics be damned.

Maybe you’re more of a Star Trek fan and would like to have a phaser or transporter.  How about the Green Destiny sword from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?  Or Excalibur?  Or the One Ring from The Lord of the Rings?  Or Aladdin’s Lamp?

Maybe weapons aren’t your thing.  How about some transportation?  There’s the Batmobile, the Delorean from Back to the Future, or even bigger, the Millennium Falcon or the starship Enterprise.

It doesn’t have to be a machine.  Maybe you want the outfit Cinderella ends up in after her Fairy Godmother makes her over for the ball.  Or something not so girly such as the outfits Catwoman or the Black Widow wear.

It could be some simple, understated shelter – let’s say Tony Stark’s house on the California coast, Charles Foster Kane’s house in Florida, or maybe the underwater/island/mountain/outer space lair of a Bond villain.  (All pre-destruction, of course.)

You could solve a long standing mystery.  Choose the suitcase from Pulp Fiction and open it to finally find out what’s in it.  You could do the same with the package from Ronin or find out what’s buzzing in the box in Belle du Jour.

You could simply go for wealth.  How about the pile of gold and jewels that Smaug is sleeping on in the second Hobbit movie?  (We’ll count them as a single item since they were a collection.)  The same goes for the treasures and antiquities found in National Treasure.

How about wanting to own Lassie or Rin Tin Tin or Benji?  If you’re not a dog person, then how about one of the many cats, horses, or other animals that have appeared in movies?  Yes, even dragons, unicorns, or other imaginary creatures count.  You could save Old Yeller, or Bambi’s mom, or the Yearling.

By the way, sentient movie characters don’t count.  You can’t say you’d want to wake up next to James Bond or Jessica Rabbit (or Roger Rabbit, if that’s what floats your boat.)  J

What about me?  What would I pick?  I’m going to choose the invisibility cloak from Harry Potter.  Not to watch people in the shower without them knowing it – well, not often anyway. J  No, I’d select it because according to the movie it will hide me so well not even Death can find me.  I would literally never die.  However, unlike someone with immortality who finds out it’s a double edged sword, if I ever did get tired of life I could simply not hide from Death any longer and hand the cloak over to someone I loved.

So how about you?  What would you choose?  The objects I listed in this post were simply examples that came to mind; your choice does not have to be one of them.  It can be anything you can think of.

Ready, set, go.

6 comments:

  1. For me, it would be Bill Murray's camouflage t-shirt from Lost in Translation and the Tumbler from Batman Begins. That's all I have for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had been a while since I had seen Lost in Translation, so I had to google for an image of the shirt. And the "Tumbler" is the new name for the Batmobile, right?

      Delete
  2. Aladdin's lamp. I mean, really...is there another choice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just remember to word your wishes VERY carefully. Some versions have the wisher not getting what they intended because the genie is capricious. "And ixnay on the wishing for more wishes" per the Disney version. :-)

      True story: I can't remember exactly when I first heard about Aladdin's lamp, but I was in Kindergarten or Elementary school. I remember asking the teacher "why wouldn't he just wish for more wishes?" I don't remember what response the teacher gave. (Hey, it was 40-45 years ago.)

      Delete
  3. I have a friend who actually made a real working tricorder from Star Trek, so that one is actually achievable. Personally I have always dream of that Delorean. Not so much for the time machine, but to be able to answer: "Roads? Where we are going we don't need roads".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely get the version of it that flies and that doesn't need 1.21 gigawatts of electricity to run it.

      Delete