Friday, August 10, 2012

“American” Movies

“You have me at a loss.  You know my name but who are you?  Just another American who saw too many movies as a child?  Another orphan of a bankrupt culture who thinks he's John Wayne?  Rambo?  Marshal Dillon?” – Hans Gruber, Die Hard

The word American is in quotes in this category’s title because the next set of movies I will be recommending are not necessarily ones made by Americans, but rather ones that have the word “American” in their titles. 

I just saw the movie American Reunion, and the Olympics have been going on, so I decided it was time I did this category.  (It was one of the original 75-80 that I brainstormed in December of 2010 before starting this blog.)

Besides, the only “Canadian” movie I knew was Canadian Bacon.  (Sorry CS, Bonjour Tristesse, and others.)

One piece of trivia that spans movies, so the best place to mention it is here:  Mena Suvari had come to people’s notice in 1999 for two movies – American Beauty and American Pie.  She had a third movie coming out that same year and to capitalize on her connection to it the studio changed its title to American Virgin.  I recommend just sticking with the first two for your viewing pleasure.

As I post the reviews, I will come back and post the links to them here:


Bonus:  Here is my review of the award winning novel American Gods (posted January 23, 2011)


On to the reviews…

No comments:

Post a Comment