Monday, December 12, 2011

Th-th-th-that’s All Folks

When I started this endeavor my intent was to do a movie for every number from zero to 50, then to continue to skip among larger numbers for other movies I would recommend.  Now that I’ve done the zero to fifty portion, I find that I’m itching to move on to other categories of movies.  Because of this, I am not going to do any other numbered movies above fifty right now.  At some point in the future I may pick this category up again.

First things first, here is the complete list of movie reviews I did for the Movies by the Numbers category, complete with links to each of those reviews, and with additional recommendations in the comments.

I’d like to thank the following people for recommending films to me for this effort.  Please visit their websites to see what they have to say about movies:

CS                  at Big Thoughts from a Small Mind
MovieNut14  at Defiant Success
SJHoneywell at 1001plus

I’d like to especially thank Bob Turnbull for writing a guest column for the number 31 movie when I was stuck with no movie to write about.  You can read it here. 

I had a lot of fun doing this large set of movie reviews.  It exposed me to several movies I probably would not have otherwise seen.  It also gave me a good excuse to re-watch a few movies along the way.  (All the other movies I did from memory.)  For those who are curious, here are the films I watched/re-watched for this effort.

Zero Effect – recommended by CS at Big Thoughts from a Small Mind
Six-String Samurai
14 Hours
Stalag 17 – (re-watched)
Hanger 18
Twenty Bucks
Catch-22 – recommended by CS at Big Thoughts from a Small Mind
24 Hour Party People
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century – (re-watched the pilot)
Chapter 27 – (didn’t like it enough to recommend)
Harvard Beats Yale 29-29
30 Minutes or Less – recommended by CS at Big Thoughts from a Small Mind
32 Short Films About Glenn Gould
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin – (three out of five stars, but I had 36 Fillette already planned to post) recommended by SJHoneywell at 1001plus and Bob Turnbull at Eternal Sunshine of the Logical Mind
38 Special: Live at Sturgis
Glorious 39
Sum 41: Introduction to Destruction
42nd Street – recommended by SJHoneywell at 1001plus and Kevyn Knox at The Most Beautiful Fraud in the World
Summer of ’42 – (re-watched) – SJHoneywell at 1001plus reminded me of this
44 Inch Chest – (didn’t like it enough to recommend)
Janice Beard 45 WPM
Code 46 – recommended by Bob Turnbull at Eternal Sunshine of the Logical Mind
47 Ronin – recommended by Bob Turnbull at Eternal Sunshine of the Logical Mind
49th Parallel – recommended by Bob Turnbull at Eternal Sunshine of the Logical Mind
50/50 – recommended by CS at Big Thoughts from a Small Mind and Kevyn Knox at The Most Beautiful Fraud in the World

You can check out the comments at the movie link post for many more suggestions from these folks.  Here are my own suggestions for the numbers above 50:

Passenger 57
Gone in Sixty Seconds (2000)
Around the World in 80 Days
RKO 281
3:10 to Yuma (2007)
11:14
1941
2001: A Space Odyssey
2010: The Year We Make Contact
2046
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Million Dollar Baby

If you are wondering if there were some movies I wrote about that straddled the line between worthy of recommendation and not worthy, then the answer is yes.  Here are the movies that I might never have written a review for had I not needed a movie for that number:

Hangar 18 – it was either this or The 18 Year Old Virgin, which is only worth watching for the nudity
The Number 23 – I had no other choices for this number and some people love it
27 Dresses – it was either this movie, which is okay, or Chapter 27, which I disliked
Sum 41: Introduction to Destruction – I had no other choices for this number and juvenile humor appeals to quite a few people

The numbers I had to skip because I had no movie to write about were 26, 33, and 43.  Bob Turnbull at Eternal Sunshine of the Logical Mind wrote a guest review for the number 31, otherwise I would have had to skip that one, too.

I’d like to thank everyone who took the time to read these posts and especially those who took the time to comment.  Hopefully, I’ve given you some movies that you will enjoy watching.

Next up – I will do a humor post or two then I will write about the best non-traditional Christmas movies.

4 comments:

  1. Jeez...based on the title of the post, I thought you were quitting this blog. Happy to have been wrong on that front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking forward to the non-traditional Christmas movie posting. :-) I share your blog frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @SJHoneywell - Oops, didn't think about that interpretation. Sorry about that. I'll put up a quick humor post tonight.

    @T~ - Thanks. See if you can get some of them to become Followers like you. It's always nice to see the number go up from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pshaw...No sweat Chip - I kinda needed to write up that review anyway, so you pushed me over the top and I finally got it done. Glad it helped!

    ReplyDelete