Wednesday, September 26, 2012

This Has Been an Expensive Month

Experiencing the joys of home ownership means also experiencing some of the not so joyful moments.  You have to take the bad with the good.  My furnace’s boiler cracked so I am now the proud owner of a shiny new furnace and someone else is the proud owner of more than $3,200 of my money.

Combine this with $1,200 to keep my vehicle on the road and another $600 for two other things I had to have done to equipment at my house and this has been a damn expensive month.

I probably shouldn’t complain.  I’ve got the financial wherewithal to absorb this.  (Save your money kids.)  This would be a disaster for some folks.  Still, any month where I end up spending $5,000 I didn’t expect to is not a good one.

My new furnace.  Isn't it shiny?  ("Shiny" as in the visual sense, not the Firefly sense.)

11 comments:

  1. Very Shiny Chip. In both senses of the word. It's always tough moving into a new home, but $5,000 is insane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. On the bright side I do get to keep driving where I need to and to have heat without water leaking onto my cellar floor.

      Delete
  2. Hopefully October will be a less expensive month for you, fingers crossed ( :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be. My semi-annual property taxes aren't due until November.

      Delete
  3. Holy crap ... why does stuff like this always have to hit in a horde? It does look like a very nice furnace, though. Shiny. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. But no matter how we look at it, your not-so-joyful moment still led to a joyful one. :D What was the cause of the crack? If it was caused by aging the wear and tear of constant use, then it was probably time for a new furnace. In any case, the best thing you can do now is enjoy your new furnace. You did spend a good amount on that, so you might as well, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right. Thanks for the positive thoughts.

      Delete
  5. For how long did you use your furnace boiler before it was broken? Maybe it had served its years, and it was just about time to get a new one. Anyway, don’t be sad. Change your perspective and be positive about it. With a new furnace boiler, you’ll definitely feel a lot better in your home.

    -Darryl Iorio

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, now that autumn has started and winter is just around the corner, I think your new furnace would be handy in keeping you warm inside the house. And a new system can certainly heat up the room quickly without consuming too much electricity. This is good in a sense that it will help you save money on your electricity bills, without compromising your comfort at home. Now that’s what you call a two-for-one deal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just like your AC unit, your furnace needs to be maintained as well. If you don’t know about these maintenance checks, do some online research to get a lot of tips there on how to take good care of your furnace. Likewise, it’s good to hire an HVAC service to inspect your furnace and have it at its most efficient in a jiffy.

    Launce Newlove

    ReplyDelete