Thursday, March 14, 2013

A Veronica Mars Movie is a Go!

So I got on my computer this morning to write my parent post for the next category of movies I will be doing.  I go to IMDB and find that there is going to be a Veronica Mars movie.  What makes the story so great is that the initial funding for it came from the fans.  What makes it an even better story is that the goal was to raise the necessary two million dollars in 30 days, but they passed that mark in only eleven hours.  They set a record on the site they did the fundraising through.

If you’ve never heard of Veronica Mars, you might be wondering what the fuss is all about.  It was a TV show that ran for three seasons (2004 – 2007) that featured a great title character played by Kristen Bell.  The first two seasons where creator Rob Thomas had control of it were top notch.  The third season the network made him alter it to try to raise ratings, which of course just alienated the people who were watching it.

I was a big fan of the show.  I still tend to check out the various things that Kristen Bell appears in, although she’s never had the chance to play as great a character as the one she did on the TV show.  She is on board with the new movie and Thomas already has a basic story plotted out.  Right now it is planned to be released some time in 2014.

If you’d like to read more about why it was such a great TV show, you can find my post on it here.

6 comments:

  1. This is very good news. Thanks for the info Chip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first heard about this on Facebook. Very excited, as I too loved the show. I've heard of filmmakers getting their movies funded through Kickstarter, but never a mainstream Hollywood film. Perhaps the door has been opened for more projects funded by rabid fans? Where's my Freaks & Geeks: The Movie!

    Shane
    www.movieworship.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people are excited about the possibilities now. How about the 13th and final episode of The Middleman, which the network decided not to produce at the last second?

      Delete
  3. Definitely good news! Veronica Mars is such an underrated show. Great characters, actors and stories. Hopefully Rob Thomas does a "Party Down" movie next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on VM. I had to look up Party Down. I had never heard of the show before.

      Delete