Monday, January 17, 2011

Golden Globes 2011

The Golden Globes presentation was last night.  For those of you who are not familiar with them – they are awards for both movies and television handed out by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association.  They have been given since 1944 and are considered a good indicator of what movie awards will be handed out at the Oscars.

The key winners were:

Best Motion Picture, Drama – The Social Network
Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy – The Kids Are All Right
Best Animated Film – Toy Story 3
Best Foreign Language Film – In a Better World

The Social Network also won Best Director, Best Screenplay and Best Original Score, so it does appear to be the frontrunner for the Oscars.  As expected, Colin Firth won Best Actor in a Drama for The King’s Speech and Natalie Portman won Best Actress in a Drama for Black Swan.

Once the Oscar nominations are announced I intend to review as many of the nominated movies as I can prior to the Oscars being handed out.  The movies above will surely be among them so I will not go into much detail now.

The Social Network – I’d give this about 3.5 stars out of 5.  Jesse Eisenberg and Justin Timberlake (you heard that right) both give very good performances in the film.  There are also several witty lines in it.  It’s a good movie, but it’s not really worthy of Best Picture of the Year to me.

The Kids Are All Right – I have not seen this yet.

Toy Story 3 – I’d give this 5 stars.  Pixar once again crafts a movie that is both touching and very funny.  Of the 2010 movies I have seen so far, I would actually pick this movie as the best.  Unfortunately, it will get stuck in the “Best Animated Picture” ghetto and will probably not be considered for Best Picture.

In a Better World – I have not seen this yet.

In case you are interested in the television awards, Boardwalk Empire won for Best Television Series – Drama and Glee won for Best Television Series – Musical or Comedy.

I have never seen Boardwalk Empire.  It was new this year and was only shown on HBO.  I have watched Glee since it began in 2009.  It’s a very entertaining show, but it may be a little too exaggerated for those who like their shows to be more grounded.  I would give it 4 stars out of 5.

One last thing – if you were hoping to read snotty comments about what the women wore to The Golden Globes then I’m afraid I’m going to disappoint you.  You see, I have a Y chromosome and what the actresses wore matters little to me. 

I’m sure you will be able to find any number of critics who are willing to trash some of the women for not paying enough attention to them on the red carpet.  If they go beyond insulting the woman’s dress, hair, shoes, weight, etc. and get into comparing her to movie monsters or serial killers then you know that the actress really must have done something to piss off the critic.

You may be saying, “But Chip, just because you’re a man doesn’t mean you won’t notice what they were wearing.  I see men on TV commenting on fashion all the time.”  To that I would say, “You are correct.  Unlike those men, though, it’s not the clothes that a woman wears on the outside; it’s what's on the inside that matters to me.”

Special Exception to this – Jayne Mansfield at the 1960 Golden Globes.  It starts at the 16 second mark.  Keep watching for Mickey Rooney to join her.



[If you do not see an embedded Youtube video here, then please click on the following link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL9xnAsR9YU]

In case you are wondering who they are talking about, Cantinflas was a Mexican comic actor.  He was actually the biggest star in the world in the 1950s.  He is probably best known to American audiences for playing Passepartout in the 1956 film (and Best Picture Oscar winner) Around the World in Eighty Days.

No comments:

Post a Comment